Saturday, March 17, 2012

Things we have been doing

I know I have been bad about keeping up with this, but here goes. As today was St. Patricks Day I thought I would make some yummy green things. I made some Mint Chocolate Brownies and green and white popcorn.
Another thing we have been doing is Young Women things. We just had our YW dessert auction as our yearly fundraiser. The girls did great and we made the money that we needed to for camp this year. We also had our New Beginnings for Young Women. The theme for the YW/YM this year is Arise and Shine Forth (D&C 115:5) so we used that as our theme for New Beginnings. I made these cute little lighthouses out of pots and candles and a babyfood jar. I painted them white with a different value color stripe. We asked the parents of the girls to write a letter to the girls telling them how they thought the girl arised and shown forth in thier lives. We got the letters ahead of time and put them in an envelope and attached it to a bag for the girls. In the bag was a t-shirt that we got made for all the youth in the ward. (Our Secretary drew the lighthouse on the back of the shirt.) When everyone arrived I got a picture of them with their parents. For the program we had each of the parents come up and tell a little something about their daughter. I would turn on one of the little light houses after they spoke. We ended the program with the young women presidency sing a song "A Light on a Hill" by Jenny Phillips. For dessert we went with an breakfast theme dessert (Arise and shine); Fruit, muffins, donuts, juice. It was a wonderful, beautiful night.
Bailey was inducted into the National Junior Honor Society at the Middle school. Kaisey was inducted into the National Honor Society at the High School. It is a honor to be able to get into these groups. I am very proud of both of them. They both have worked very hard.
A couple of other things that have been going on. McKay got his permit so now we need to teach him how to drive. He also is starting to work on his Eagle Scout project. He is going to be building picnic benches and bird houses at the elementary school. To do so he is having an yard sale to help with the funding. The most exciting part about this so far for us is he passed his Eagle project review board the first time. Around here nobody passes it the first time, but he knew everything and had all the things he needed and he passes. We were pretty happy. So now we are working on all the other things we need to do.

No comments: